Skip to main content

Snack time

Hey Guys!

As I was going through the last few weeks, I thought I could share with you some of our favourite snacks that we make for school lunches, afternoon tea, etc.

As I have said in previous blog posts, I would rather make snacks than buy them prepackaged. I save so much money by making our own snacks like popcorn, muffins, etc. and we have a child who needs to eat more meals that will help her with gaining weight. I love that I have the control over what goes into the food that we eat. We don't eat super super healthy, however, we do eat fresh fruits and veggies the majority of the time. These snacks are simple and appealing to small fussy humans.

Popcorn!

We love our popcorn here and the simplest and easiest way is with a popcorn maker!
I picked up mine at Kmart for $8 and a pack of popping corn is just over $1. One bag makes a ton of popcorn and these can be popped, put in snack bags and ready to go in lunch boxes for the week. I wouldn't keep them in the pantry any longer than a few days because they do have a tendency to go stale. You can also flavour these with anything from caramel to salt and they taste great!

Muffins!

I love making muffins! They are a filling snack for the kids and are super easy with a basic muffin recipe. The recipe I found is adaptable so you can add whatever flavour combo you have on hand. We have made them with mango yoghurt that needed to be used up (the kids weren't big fans of that yoghurt itself, but they loved the muffins... shhh...), chocolate chips, ham and cheese, banana and chia. Find a simple, versatile recipe and keep those basic ingredients on hand and you will always have something for school lunches!

Devon and Cheese Cubes!

My kids LOVE these right now! Buying a stick of devon and a block of cheddar cheese and cutting them up yourself is so much cheaper than buying the Lunchables packs. My kids would eat this all day if they could and then come home and eat more! Take a few minutes to chop them up into cubes and when they make their lunch, they can put them into containers with some Ritz crackers and there is a (half decent) snack.


Muesli Bars!

My kiddos LOVE muesli bars, and there are some pretty cheap options out there, but you never really know what goes into them. I have a few different recipes I have come across in various cookbooks and websites that are kid-approved and husband-approved. Some are no bake versions while others (like our favourite one!) are baked but they are so good. Our favourite one is easily adaptable to whatever we have on hand and the main ingredients are things we keep our pantry stocked with anyway. As our kids are at a nut-free school we have to watch the muesli bars we buy are nut free, so when the holidays arrive, we splash out and buy ones with peanuts and chocolate (these ones from Woolworths are our favourite and are relatively easy on the budget).


Fruit Platters!

One of my favourite things to do to make sure the fruit is getting eaten is to make up fruit platters. The kids tend to be really picky with the fruit they eat, so when I make up one of the fruit platters, I have a rule for the kids. The rule is that they have to eat two pieces of each fruit and then they can go to town on their favourite.

Yoghurt!

Yoghurt is a favourite here so we go through a lot. So I have a rule. The yoghurt pouches (and I buy the home brand ones at 75c each) are reserved for school lunches. I buy the pouches 4 of each flavour (banana, strawberry and vanilla) at a time. These have to last the week at least so that everything else gets eaten. At home when they ask for yoghurt as a snack, we have an EasiYo homemade yoghurt made up and in the fridge. I have been meaning to find out how to make a large batch of yoghurt from scratch but have not really had the time. Comment below if you have one you recommend!

So there are our family favourite snacks! These are really so versatile it never really feels like we are having the same thing all the time so the kids never really get bored.

If you have any snacks you guys love and if you have anything you would like me to blog, let me know in the comments below!

Thanks,
Jacqui xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Organising School Uniforms

Hey Guys! When it comes to storing and sorting the kid's school uniforms, it seems we have FINALLY found what works for us! For those who don't know, we have 4 kiddos and my mum works at the kid's school as well, so her uniforms are also stored with the kid's uniforms.  Right next to my desk in the kid's playroom (pretty much only has Lego in it at the moment) we have a clothes rack. The only things that get put on the rack is school uniforms, shoes, the hair box (this keeps all the brushes, hair ties, head bands, etc. together in one place) and school socks.  So here is an overview of what the uniform rack looks like and then I will talk about the sections. We'll talk about hanging the uniforms first! Each person has their own colour coat hanger to make it easier for them to recognise which uniforms are theirs.  BB has pink. Knox has blue. TJ has purple. Liss has white.  Mum has black.  Yes, they are all mixed up at

5 Quick and Easy Gluten Free School Snacks

Hey Everyone! As some people may know, our youngest daughter has been diagnosed with something called PANDAS syndrome. This means that in order to help her with some of the issues stemming from this syndrome, she has had to eliminate Gluten from her diet. It has taken a lot of trial and error to try and find some gluten free things she likes, but here are some of her favourites to pack in her lunch box for school! 1. Popcorn. We try to just make the air popped popcorn in the mornings, that way it is fresh for the day. But sometimes it is well worth the $3 for the Woolies homebrand popcorn that comes in packets. They also have the sweet and salty flavour that is always a hit in our house. 2. Mini pancake muffin bites. These are super easy to make and don't take long. Our daughter loves the Coles home brand I'm Free From Gluten range, so we just buy the pancake shaker bottle in that brand and pour them into a mini muffin pan. We add things like blueberries, chocolate chips etc to

A little update...

Hey Guys! Just wanted to jump on real quick and let you know what is coming up on the blog! We have our Large Family Laundry Routine coming up next and then a monthly meal plan for May after that. If you are enjoying reading our blog, thank you! My aim is to get at least 2-3 posts out a month at this point as we have a lot of appointments and possibly a surgery for my daughter. We also have a couple of birthdays in May so I might put up a Birthday blog as well! Thank you for being patient with me through this, and I hope you all have a great day! Much Love, Jacqui!